West Branch Parks and Recreation Department works to improve the quality of West Branch residents’ lives through parks, trails, and activities. Residents can enjoy the 3.5 mile Herbert Hoover Trail, 3 parks (Wapsi Creek, Beranek, and Cubby Park), and other recreation activities such as; youth soccer, t-ball, football, basketball, volleyball and more!
Pay Registrations Online
West Branch Parks and Recreation is taking registrations for the following programs:
All Access Pass
The All Access Pass includes the following activities: Camp in a Box, Kids in the Kitchen, Beyond Board Games, Check In Challenge, Social distancing champion t-shirt, and any future 2020 summer programs. $200 ayment is required with registration. Please contact Park and Recreation Director Melissa Russell at 319-930-0303 or email@example.com for questions or concerns. If you register for the all access pass you do not need to complete any other registration forms.
Camp in A Box(fee) June 1st-August 3rd
Every Monday the camper gets a box with the activities for the week. Here is what you get in the box: 1 activity to do indoors, 1 to do outdoors, 1 activity to do at a park or green space, 1 science experiment, 1 craft project, and other mystery items. There will be instructions to follow, however we will also have a couple of zoom times throughout the week so the kids can do the activities with the counselor. Starts June 1st and runs for 9 or 10 weeks, depending on the start of the school year. Themes are subject to change. If there are enough participants, zoom sessions and activities may be divided into different age categories. Payment is required with registration. Each box is $20 or pay a discount rate for the summer for $150.
Snack Time(fee)June 3rd-August 5th-Wednesday 10am
Get together with your friends and learn to make a few yummy snacks. We will have an ingredient and instruction list available on Monday if you want to provide your own food or let us deliver all the food supplies to you for a small fee. Some items we will make will be a variety of smoothies, mug snacks, and maybe even a make ahead supper for your family. $10 weekly supply delivery fee or $75 for all 10 weeks. Must be able to use a microwave safely or have an adult present that can assist.
Beyond Board Games(free)June 3rd-August 5th Wednesdays at 2pm
Do you need a little break in the afternoon? Join us for a weekly game challenge. Each week we will host a new game that participants can play along with camp counselors. Games and times are subject to change each week. The games for the week will be released on Mondays.
Check in Challenge(free) June 3rd-August 5th Thursdays at 2pm
Join your Parks and Recreation Department for a weekly mystery challenge. Some of the activities will include scavenger
hunts, obstacle courses, challenge courses, and virtual escape rooms. Most activities will be available as a handout or google
sheet for participants to complete on their own. This is a great time for kids to give staff feedback so we can add or
enhance summer programs.
CLUE(free) June 1st-June 14th
Are you a good enough detective to figure out which Parks and Library Department employee finally snapped? Who
did it? Where did they do it? What weapon did they use? Clues will be hidden in the town of West Branch to help solve
this crime. Be sure to maintain appropriate social distancing while you investigate.
Think you have solved the mystery?
50 Miles in 50 Day(free) June 12th-July 31st
This is a vitual race for adults and children. Complete your miles anytime throughout the program time period. Log one mile per day, log a couple at a time, or go the full distance on the last day…no matter what, keep moving. Exercise can be converted into miles using this formula # of Min/15 X .75 = Miles. Track your miles on the tracking log provided and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org when complete. Do you need an extra challenge? Complete as many sheets as you can in the 50 days. Each completed entry will be entered in a drawing for giveaways.
BINGO Bucket List(free) June 1st-July 31st
Don’t let COVID-19 ruin your summer fun. Take summer to a new level of exploration and excitement with the Bingo Bucket List summer program. This summer-long challenge is designed to help keep children and families busy with different activities throughout the summer. Fill up an entire card and receive a prize. Cards can be dropped off or emailed when completed. There will be 8 different cards available throughout the summer to keep everyone busy.
TikTok Challenge(free) June 1st-June 28th
Get ready for some family fun and possibly a few laughs while completeing these challenges each week. Starting in June there
will be a different theme each week. Upload the TikTok/Video to the West Branch Park and Recreation facebook page to be
entered into a drawing each week and could get the chance to win a family prize.
Week 1 June 1st-7th- Family Dance Routine
Week 2: June 8th-14th Remake Childhood Photo
Week 3: June 15th-21st Favorite Team
Week 4: Family Talents
All submissions MUST be family friendly and appropriate!
2020 Miles in 2020-January 1, 2020-December 31, 2020.
1. Participants can register both individually and on 1 team. Participants cannot be registered on multiple teams.
2. Teams can be up to 6 members. Teams can be comprised of adults and children. Team names must be family friendly.
3. Team/individual submit monthly miles to Melissa Russell via email, phone, or text. Participants can also enter their own miles directly to the spreadsheet. Teams please add all your miles together before submitting them.
4. Participants can submit weekly miles if preferred(whatever you need to do to stay motivated).
5. Only 1 member of a team needs to register team. Please list team members. Team members can be added throughout the year if they are not registered on another team.
6. Individuals register and request to be added to an undetermined team.
7. Miles can be accumulated through daily steps, running, walking, biking, swimming…. The rules are simple…JUST MOVE AND HAVE FUN!
8. Miles can be counted January 1, 2020 to December 31, 2020.
Park and Recreation COVID-19 Updates
- All playgrounds, shelters, restrooms, drinking fountains and basketball courts are closed.
- Dog park remains open however additional rules have been put in place to ensure safety of patrons.
- Only 1 family(must reside in the same household) is allowed in the dog park at a time.
- Surfaces are not sanitized. Please refrain from using benches and tables.
- Limit time in the dog park to 15 minutes if others are waiting.
- Trails remain open, however practice social distancing and follow all CDC guidelines.
- Preschool soccer start date has canceled and refunds have been issued..
- YSF 5th/6th Track season is cancelled and refunds were issued
- Tot Time is suspended indefinitely.
- K-2nd grade t-ball, baseball, and softball are scheduled to start in June.
- 3rd/4th baseball and softball is canceled. Refunds will be issued.
- 5th/6th grade softball is canceled. Refunds will be issued.
- As always, more coaches are needed for all of the sports this season. More volunteer coaches allows me to break the kids into smaller teams. Please consider helping!
- Preschool t-ball and blast ball registrations on suspended indefinitely.
- Cubby Park is not available until at least June 1st for tournaments or games.
- Adult volleyball is cancelled